If you are a British Citizen between the age of 18-30, or Irish Citizen between 18-35 and have been a resident there for three years, International Experience Canada ( or the IEC Visa) now allows you the chance to live and work in Canada for up to 2 years. Your passport must remain valid for the duration of your stay, as the work permit issued will not be longer than the validity of the passport. To support yourself, you must be able to show access to 2,500 CAD upon entry and also have proof of health insurance that will cover you for the period of your stay in Canada.

What is the ‘Pool’?

Once a year, the Canadian Government releases Visa’s to the public for application and this season may vary year to year. If you are eligible, you will go into a ‘pool’ and your application remains here until you receive an ‘invitation to apply’ for a work permit. If you receive an invitation to apply, you then have 10 days to respond, or you re-enter the pool. If you accept the invitation, you have 20 days from that date to complete your application. There are around 5,000 British and 7,500 Irish ‘invitations’ available per season. For more tips on applying for the IEC Visa, watch the above video to hear from someone who’s done it, or CLICK HERE  to apply.